Our Reach-the-World Fellowship Program gives junior clinicians and researchers from selected Reach-the-World countries the opportunity to study at host institutes known for their expertise in thrombosis and hemostasis.
The program aims to promote knowledge and expertise in one or all of the areas of medical care, laboratory methods and/or research. As part of the program, we provide fellows with financial support for travel, accommodation and living expenses for a fellowship period of up to four months.
To see a list of past fellows, click here.
Applications periods are open from April 1 - June 1 and November 1 - December 31 of each year. APPLY ONLINE NOW!
Please note: The Reach-the-World Fellowship application process remains on schedule, but the timing of travel for fellowships is flexible due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Applicants for the Reach the World Fellowship Program must be members of ISTH at the time of submitting their application and retain membership status during the period of the fellowship program
- Applicants should be clinicians or scientists holding an MD or PhD. They should be engaged in basic or clinical research in the field.
- Applicants with a science background must be within 10 years of award of their PhD.
- Applicants with a clinical background (MD) must be within 10 years of completion of clinical subspecialty training.
- Requests for extension of the 10-year period for either maternity or paternity leave will require documented confirmation of this leave, which will be taken into consideration by the ISTH Education Committee.
- Applicants must be from an academic institute in a Reach-the-World country.
- Applicants must be able to read, write and speak in English or the primary language used at the host institute
- Applicants must provide a curriculum vitae that includes a publishing history, presentations and clinical, laboratory or research experience in the field of thrombosis and hemostasis
- Applicants must not be employed by a commercial pharmaceutical or other biomedical company
- Applicants must adhere to the conditions, guidelines and reporting requirements of the RtW program
Terms and Conditions
Applications must meet the following conditions:
- Submission of a completed application form with a training plan
- A letter of support from the academic superior at their home institute recommending the applicant for the program
- A letter of support from the host institute confirming support for the applicant*
- Commits to return to work at their home institute after the Fellowship for at least 1 year
- Disclose any grants, fellowships or other outside funding obtained or sought by applicant for this training. No other funding may be used concurrently but could be used consecutively with approval in advance.
- Submission of end-of-training report to the ISTH Education Committee within 3 months of completing the Fellowship
- In the event the fellowship ends prematurely, awardees must return the unused stipend
*Applications may be sent without a host institution indicated. The ISTH will assist in finding an appropriate host but cannot guarantee placement.
Four (4) fellowships will be awarded each year. Funding is for a maximum of four months. Funding will cover:
- Economy/tourist class round-trip airfare
- Stipend for living expenses up to $3,000 USD per month.
How to Apply
Applicants must fully complete the online application form with contact information from home institute and supervisor, with indication of host institute, mentor with the following attachments:
- Detailed training plan
- Biographical sketch or CV of the applicant
- Letter from superior of applicant’s home institute describing:
- objectives of the requested fellowship
- applicant’s achievements
- potential long-term benefits of the fellowship to the home institute
- Letter from the head of the department of the Host institute stating
- Confirmation to host the fellow for the stated length; applicants may not change hosts following application without prior approval.
- Objectives of the proposed training, including timelines
- Willingness to help the applicant find suitable accommodation
Applications will be reviewed by an ad-hoc subcommittee appointed by the ISTH Education Committee and will be selected on the below conditions. Applications will be treated as confidential documents but will be seen by selected reviewers. Applications will be ranked on:
- Feasibility of the proposed training
- Academic track record
- Appropriateness of host institute
- Potential for continued collaboration between Institutes
The ISTH Reach-the-World Fellowship Program is supported with sponsorship from Roche:
For any questions about the ISTH Reach the World Fellowship Program or the application, please contact:
Lacey Schmeidler, Program Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org